10th October 2023
Not all self storage facilities are the same and to make sure that you find the right one for you, there are several things to look out for. Self storage is not only about the storage facility itself. It is also about the people who run it and how they make your storage experience better than you expected.
People who have done a self storage rental and who have not had the best experience lament that they should have done their homework first. For this reason, we thought it an idea for you to know what to look out for when renting a self storage unit in advance of doing so.
A self storage rental has many good features, and a storage experience is likely not to be filled with problems. Knowing that there are two main factors, the physical and the human factors involved will prepare you in advance.
At Quick Self Storage, we pay strict attention to the list we are about to give you. This helps us exceed our client’s expectations to make sure we uphold our good reputation and strive to be the best. We hope you discover this for yourself if you are thinking of a nearby self storage facility in Peterborough, Darlington, and Liverpool.
So, when you are next thinking about how to solve your storage issues, self storage should be your first choice. Just do your checks and it will all be good
Self Storage: It Starts with the Staff
First up contact the self storage facility that you have in mind. Be on the lookout for the following signs which help you evaluate their customer service:
- Are you attended to promptly? A good nearby self storage facility should respond to your inquiries promptly. Whether you reach out by phone, email, or in person, timely responses indicate a commitment to customer service.
- You should expect the staff to communicate with you in a clear, friendly, and respectful manner. Do they answer your questions and provide information about their services?
- Ask a few key questions. The staff should be knowledgeable about their offerings, unit sizes, pricing, security features, and any additional services they provide. See if they guide you in choosing the right storage solution for your needs.
- Focus on security. The staff should be able to explain the security measures in place to protect your belongings, including surveillance, gated access, and any security personnel on-site.
- Are the staff able to provide storage tips, advice on how to optimise your space, and assistance if you have specific storage needs or questions?
As a double-check, go online and see what others have to say about the staff. You can look at online reviews and recommendations from others who have already rented a self storage unit at the facility. The feedback will help corroborate your opinion.
The Answers You Are Looking For
Having made the call, the answers you get should cover all the aspects of the human side and give you a good idea of the professionalism of the staff. These are some of the answers you are looking for
- Honesty and transparency are key. The staff running a reputable self storage facility will be transparent about their rental terms, fees, and policies. They should provide you with a clear rental agreement and explain any terms you don’t understand.
- Good customer service includes offering flexibility in rental terms. The facility should have various unit sizes available and provide options for different rental durations to suit your needs.
- Test pricing flexibility and an indicator of good customer service is the willingness to offer competitive pricing and transparent fee structures to get your business.
- A further question you need to answer is whether the storage facility will provide convenient access hours that fit the times you intend to go there. This should also include how to access your unit and navigate the facility.
An Inspection of the Storage Facility
You may have got most of the answers over the phone, but there’s no harm in seeing the facility for yourself. Then you should have all the answers. Here’s what to look out for:
- Going there will give you a good idea of the distance and time to get to its location.
- Checking the security features for yourself is a good idea as a double-check that what you were told is there.
- You may discover extra facility amenities that will help you during your storage process. Be on the lookout for packing supplies, moving truck rentals, or loading equipment.
- It’s always advisable to see the size unit you have in mind to visualize how you are going to organise the items you want to store.
- Check the cleanliness and overall state of the facility to see how well it is maintained. This will give you some idea of the responsibility of management to uphold its promises.
- You will get a good idea of the unit’s accessibility. It may have drive-up units, making it convenient for loading and unloading. In which case, choose one of these.
Nice to Have Extras
Some of the extras may have gone under the radar or you haven’t thought about them. Consider the following:
- Infrastructure to aid special accessibility needs, for example, wheelchair access or to move particularly large or bulky items.
- Notice requirements are also important. Check out the facility’s policies and procedures for moving out, to understand notice requirements and refund policies.
- Insurance sometimes gets forgotten in the rush. Ask if the storage facility offers insurance coverage or what their suggestions are for your goods.
- Obtain a sample of the rental agreement. Check it out carefully. Ensure you understand the terms, including the rental duration, renewal options, and any termination policies.
Make a Wise Choice: Make it Quick
Take your time, do your check but make it Quick. Quick Self Storage ticks all the above boxes. We aim to provide you with an expectations-exceeding storage experience.
For further information and assistance about our storage units in Peterborough, please contact us on 01733 834183 or visit Self Storage Peterborough
For further information and assistance about our storage units in Darlington please contact us on 01325 489562 or visit Self Storage Darlington
For further information and assistance about our storage units in Liverpool please contact us on 0151 8324000 or visit Self Storage Liverpool
Make that wise choice!
Read some of our reviews to see what our customer have to say.