4th September 2023
The storage of home contents when moving isn’t just about bundling them up and transferring everything into a self storage unit. On the contrary, certain household goods require special treatment. When storing electronic equipment and appliances, it’s essential to take certain precautions to ensure they remain in good condition and function properly when they are to be used again.
It is good to highlight this, as electronics and appliances can’t just be put away for storage like furniture and many of the other bulky goods in the house. Care with preparation for storage, handling, and storage conditions are all to be considered to ensure that their value is retained.
With technology advancing at a rapid rate many new appliances and electronics are coming onto the market. As they emerge, they become popular in homes. The old electronics and appliances that are no longer used must be stored correctly to guarantee their continued functionality.
Choosing Self Storage for Electronics and Appliances.
Appliances and electronics are integral components of modern life, ranging from refrigerators and washing machines to televisions and computers. They hold both functional and sentimental value, making their storage a matter of careful consideration. Self storage can indeed be a viable option for housing these items, provided certain conditions are met.
Once you have decided to store your electronics and appliances in self storage, there are a few checks that need to be done to be assured that you have chosen the right storage facility.
- Look at your nearby self storage facilities first if you need to access your goods while they are in storage.
- Check their websites for reviews and see what past customers have to say about the storage experience.
- Try and visit them personally to assess the security measures firsthand, as well as the general condition of the facility.
- Ask whether the self storage units are temperature regulated and offer insulation from the outside elements. A controlled environment helps protect sensitive electronics from extreme temperature fluctuations and humidity, which can lead to deterioration or malfunctions.
- Enquire as to whether there are different storage unit sizes on offer so that you have a choice when it comes to storing your goods. Ideally, you should be able to choose a space that accommodates your appliances and electronics without unnecessary wastage of space or overcrowding.
- Get an idea of the prices of the units for you to be able to budget accordingly. Enquire about any special offers that may be applicable to you.
- Make an assessment for yourself of the quality of staff and how they have treated you. Staff that are friendly and willing to help and answer your queries are indicative of a well-managed facility.
These pointers will help you find the best self storage facility for your electronics and appliances.
Why Is Self Storage Ideal For Electronics And Appliance Storage?
There are several compelling reasons for choosing self storage over other storage alternatives when needing to store electronics and appliances. The best self storage facility should have all the following features:
- Top-level security features include CCTV, gate access measures, and on-site staff. This will ensure the safety of your valuable appliances and electronics from theft and vandalism while they are in storage.
- Self storage offers an environment that protects electronics and appliances from damage. Insulation of the walls and ceiling of the unit will ensure that the conditions inside the unit are suitable.
- The range of self storage unit sizes on offer is also a feature that benefits you. Having a choice of sizes helps accommodate your goods without overcrowding them. So, choosing the correct sized unit is vital for the safe storage of your goods, whether they are to be stored for a few weeks or even a few months or longer.
- For businesses, the affordable cost of a self storage rental helps with the budget. Here backup stock can be stored in a conducive climate, at a fraction of the cost of expensive retail space.
Last Checks Before You Store Your Electronics And Appliances.
Before sending your electronics and appliances to self storage, here are some useful preparation tips.
- Batteries are prone to leaking as they age, so it is crucial to remove them before storing any electronics or appliances before putting them into storage.
- It would be preferable to use the original packaging if it is still available. In its absence make sure the packaging used is robust and pad with foam or bubble wrap.
- Packing and stacking methods are important. Pack off the ground on a pallet if possible, and refrain from stacking them to prevent putting pressure on top of them.
- Separate all the wires and attachments and put them in their packaging, taped to the appliance. It helps to take a photo of the wires when they are attached so that you can put everything together easily next time it is used.
- Keeping them dry is important, so use silica packs and check on your stored items from time to time, as well as the humidity levels inside the self storage unit.
Follow the manufacturer’s handbook to double-check that there are no other specific storage preparation requirements. Following these instructions will help prolong the life of your stored items.
Additionally, take care when transporting these items as the act of transporting appliances and electronics to the storage facility can be damaging. Improper handling could lead to scratches, dents, or even internal damage that might go unnoticed until
Look No Further Than Quick Self Storage
Valuable electronic goods and expensive appliances all need to be safe when they go into storage. This is why you need a reliable storage facility to store them. When thinking of a storage unit rental, think of Quick Self Storage.
There are several branches to choose from:
For further information and assistance about our storage units in Peterborough, please contact us on 01733 834183 or visit Self Storage Peterborough
For further information and assistance about our storage units in Darlington please contact us on 01325 489562 or visit Self Storage Darlington
For further information and assistance about our storage units in Liverpool please contact us on 0151 8324000 or visit Self Storage Liverpool
Read some of our reviews to see what our customer have to say.